Saturday, December 17, 2016
Before 2016 gets away we should wish the Laurens school house a happy 100th birthday. The building was first used in the fall of 1916. Although similar school buildings across Pocahontas County have been torn down, this one still looks great.
It was constructed behind the prior 1889 school which was removed once its
replacement was completed, creating the front yard of the present building.It was declared to be fireproof since it had metal floors and brick walls. It also had indoor "water closets."
Enrollment then was nearly the same as it is now, but today's students are spread out into several additional structures.
By erecting the school on the highest point in the town and at the north end of its main business district street, the community made a statement that resonates yet today.
Submitted by Jerry Depew